What to Do When Your Commercial Property Floods in Gresham
Are you prepared for a flood on the East Side?
Floods rank as one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. Whether you live near a coastline, along city streets, in the mountains, near a river, or even in the desert, there is a potential for suffering flood damage. On average, floods cost $6 billion in annual losses in the U.S. Flooding can also result from plumbing failures, frozen pipes, and damaged structures. Floods can damage and affect your business in a variety of ways and can range in size from being isolated to a single room to entire floors being fully submerged.
Flood Prevention Tips:
- Determine if your property is in a floodplain.
- In any emergency, always listen to the instructions given by local emergency management officials.
- Carefully asses how your company functions, both internally and externally, to determine which staff, materials, procedures and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep the business operating.
- Plan what you will do if your building, plant, or store is not accessible. This type of planning is often referred to as a continuity of operations plan, or COOP, and includes all the facets of your business.
- Plan for payroll continuity.
- Review your emergency plans annually. Just as your business changes over time, so do your preparedness needs. When you hire new employees or when there are changes in how your company functions, you should update your plans and inform your people.
In the event your property does have a flood, remember SERVPRO of Gresham is here to help! We’re open 24/7 to help you when disasters strike! Call us today at (503) 665-7752!
What to Do Before and After a Flood in the Riverfront Area
With the rainy season making its way into town, have you given any thought to if your commercial property is prepared for a flooding from heavy rain? SERVPRO of Gresham wants to make sure you’re prepared in the event a disaster happens. The following gives tips on what to do before and after a flood.
BEFORE A FLOOD:
If an advanced Flood Warning had been issued, there are several precautions that can be taken to help minimize damage to certain areas in your business:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical equipment and appliances.
- Move vehicles out of low lying parking garages.
- Raise elevators from bottom floor.
AFTER A FLOOD:
- Account that all employees are safe by establishing evacuation plans in advance identifying areas outside the building that are designated meeting places. Assign select individuals to keep a list of their assigned team’s names and contact numbers in order to account for their whereabouts.
- If water enters the building and evacuation becomes impossible, move to an upper floor, and wait for rescuers.
- While evacuating, avoid attempting to drive through floods or rising water, nearly half of all flash flood fatalities are auto-related.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
- Use no open flames (there may be gas escaping from ruptured mains).
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
- Return only when authorities indicate is it safe.
In the event your property has a flood, remember to call SERVPRO of Gresham today at (503) 665-7752!
Have You Found Mold in Your Wood Village Home or Business?
What Causes Mold in East Side Commercial or Residential Structures?
Molds can germinate in a warm, moist environment where a food source is present. How fast growth occurs depends on the combination of conditions. Spores can begin to grow after only 12
hours in some conditions and some can grow into colonies in 24 to 48 hours. Houses offer a large food supply—drywall, wood, insulation, indoor dirt, and paper. When these materials become damp or wet, settled spores can become growing molds. Water damages offer opportunities for molds to grow and multiply, since moisture and humidity levels are increased in a structure that has had water damage. Conditions that encourage mold growth are:
- Food source. Molds feed on organic materials in a structure: wood, paper, drywall, insulation, natural fibers, and indoor dirt that often has organic matter in it.
- Temperature. The common molds found in buildings generally grow best in typical building temperatures between 68° and 86° F. Some molds can grow at very cold or very hot temperatures.
- Moisture. Most molds need lots of moisture, but some molds can survive in relative humidity’s as low as 65%. These molds are a particular problem to the restoration industry. To reduce mold growth, indoor relative humidity should be maintained below 60%.
If you have spotted mold in your home or business and are in need of remediation, call SERVPRO of Gresham today!
Commons Reasons Why Your Basement Floods Along the Columbia River
Have you inspected your home for these common basement flood causes?
Any disaster that hits your home can be devastating, that is why SERVPRO of Gresham is here to help! We are faster to any disaster and have highly trained technicians to help restore your home back to its preloss condition. The following are common reasons your basement can flood:
- Unsuitable Locations for Your Home: One of the most typical causes of basement flooding is that the house has been constructed on an unsuitable site. Houses are usually built on sloped terrains, allowing accumulated water to drain.
- Clogged gutters or misdirected water: Gutter downspouts should dispense water at least six to 10 feet away from your home, sometimes farther depending on the type of soil you have. If it is clay soil, you might be safe at five feet from the home. If your soil is sandy, consider going even farther than 10 feet.
- Groundwater: The complicated route of water runs in front of our eyes in rivers, lakes, streams and swamps, as well as out of sight beneath our feet.
- Heavy rains or melting snow: These weather events may seem obvious, but they can surprise homeowners because storm water and melting snow can travel hundreds of miles and come to affect local rivers and watersheds. You can reduce the surprise factor by tuning in to the regional weather reports.
- Sump pump failure.When people live where there is lots of water in the ground, the homes often have a pump built into the basement floor. Pumps constantly work to move water out and keep it away from the basement. Like any piece of equipment, they fail or break and require regular inspection, maintenance and repair when needed.
If you ever have flooding in your basement, call the pro’s at SERVPRO of Gresham today at (503) 665-7752!
Does My Home or Business Need Mitigation in SW Portland?
What is mitigation?
Do you know what mitigation can do for you?
SERVPRO of Gresham is a trusted leader in the restoration industry. We provide 24-hour emergency service and are dedicated to responding faster to any size disaster. With the training and expertise to handle your restoration and cleaning needs, we’re locally owned and operated and can respond immediately to your emergency. SERVPRO of Gresham has highly trained mitigation specialists that focus on reducing loss, enabling quick recoveries and lessening costs involved with restoration of property damage events.
- Mitigation reduces losses of life and property
- Mitigation enables people to recover more quickly from a disaster
- Mitigation lessens the financial impact of disasters
When to mitigate:
- Crime Scenes
No matter what size or type of disaster, SERVPRO of Gresham will here to help make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at (503) 665-7752 or visit our website for more information.
Windstorm in Troutdale Causes Tree to Fall on Home
A windstorm caused a tree to fall on a nearby home.
A windstorm is wind that is strong enough to cause at least light damage to trees and buildings and may or may not be accompanied by rain. Wind speeds during a windstorm typically exceed 34 miles per hour. Wind damage can be attributed to gusts or longer periods of stronger sustained winds. Windstorms may last for just a few minutes when caused by downbursts from thunderstorms, or they may last for hours to several days when they result from large-scale weather systems. In our area, Troutdale is known for being on the windier side, but have no fear SERVPRO of Gresham is here to help! If a tree causes damage to your home or business, give us a call!
SERVPRO of Gresham provides 24/7 emergency services every day of the year. No matter the time or season reach out today at (503) 655-7735!
Did You Know SERVPRO of Gresham Cleans Contents?
Have your belongings been affected by fire or water damage from the Eagle Creek Fire?
Water and fire damage affects not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Gresham understands that your home is more than a structure; your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home. SERVPRO of Gresham specializes in restoring contents damaged by water, fire, or mold. Our expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your belongings to determine what items we can restore to preloss condition.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning due to fire or water damage, SERVPRO of Gresham can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. Move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Whether you in need of content cleaning from a fire, water, or other type of loss, SERVPRO of Gresham is here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at (503) 665-7752!
SERVPRO of Gresham Can Clean Smoke and Odor Damage from Your Home!
Was your home or business affected by the Eagle Creek Fire?
In the aftermath of the Eagle Creek Fire, multiple homes and businesses were affected by smoke and odor damage. SERVPRO of Gresham is here to help like it “Like it never even happened.” As fire and water restoration specialists, we have the training, experience and specialized equipment necessary to restore your home or business. We are committed to providing superior service while restoring your property back to pre-fire condition. We clean and restore your property using specialized equipment and cleaning techniques. Our “restore first” mentality reduces interruption and gets you back to your life. Some examples of things SERVPRO is able to clean are:
- Smoke and Soot Cleaning
- Hard Furniture/Floors
- Odor Removal
If you have any questions regarding smoke and odor removal, please visit our website or call us at (503) 665-7752!
Does My Home Along the Columbia River Have a Water Leak?
Do you know how to spot a water leak?
You never expect a water leak in your home, but it’s good to be prepared and know what to do in case it happens! Sometimes, leaks can go undetected due to where they happen in the home (inside walls, under floor, or in your crawlspace). The following tips can help you determine if a leak is present, whether you can see it or not!
- Watch your water bill for unexpectedly high usage. High water usage could be a sign of a problem.
- Use no water for two hours. Read your water meter before and after this period. If this reading is not the same, you likely have a leak somewhere.
- Check your toilet by placing food coloring in the toilet tank. In 15 minutes or less, if the colored water is in the toilet bowl without flushing, there is probably a leak.
- Fix leaks and drips as soon as you see them.
- Use water leak alarms and automatic water shut off systems to catch leaks quickly.
In the event that you have a water leak and need mitigation, call SERVPRO of Gresham! Our highly trained technicians will be happy to help get your home back to its preloss condition.
Office Cleaning Tips for East Side Businesses
Who says cleaning has to be done in the spring?
Maintaining a clean office keeps germs at bay and keeps you and your employees happy and healthy year-round. Did you know that office desks have been found to be more than 400 times dirtier than a toilet seat? How about how office telephones have around 25,000 germs per square inch? Below are some tips to help with your journey of keeping the workplace spic and span all the time!
- Clean all surfaces. Wipe down all of your hard surfaces, including desks, chairs, tables, and shelves. Electronics are just as important; your phone, keyboard, and mouse are high germ zones. You should also clean off your printer, fax machine, computer screens, and other electronic surfaces with an appropriate cloth or cleaner.
- Declutter. Clean out your filing cabinet and get rid of old papers that have been lying around your workspace. Be sure to shred paperwork containing confidential or sensitive information.
- Organize. Summer cleaning provides the perfect time to create a filing system that helps reduce workspace clutter.
- Tackle the junk drawer. Just take it slow and toss or recycle anything you no longer need. Continue by organize the items you’re planning to keep.
- Virtual organization. Cleaning your work space isn’t just about disinfecting and filing. Use this opportunity to organize your computer documents and emails so you can find needed files without a cluttered desktop or inbox.
SERVPRO of Gresham wants to help businesses keep their offices clean year-round! If you are looking for commercial cleaning services, visit our website or call us today at (503) 665-7752!