Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Biohazard contaminants should be considered very dangerous as they can pose a serious health risk. Sewer backups and flood water are two common biohazard scenarios that can affect homes and businesses. Although it can be tempting to try and do it yourself it can pose a large risk to you but also others who come into contact with the area if it is not taken care of correctly. SERVPRO of Gresham & SERVPRO of Oregon City/Sandy has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to safely clean and restore this type of contamination. If your home or office should suffer a biohazard loss it is critical that you call a certified firm like ourselves to help remediation the problem correctly and safely.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (503) 665-7752
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Gresham and SERVPRO of Oregon City / Sandy has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Wood Village
- Oregon City
- Powell Valley
- Salish Ponds
- Gresham Butte
- Pleasant Home
- Echo Dell