Fire Escape Planning Tips for your Gresham Home
Tips for a fire escape plan in your Fairview household
The following are several tips that could potentially save your life or the life of a loved one should a fire break out in your home or business:
- Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home.
- Test smoke alarm batteries every month and change them at least once a year.
- Consider installing a 10-year lithium battery-powered smoke alarm.
- Practice finding your way out of the house with your eyes closed, crawling or staying low and feeling your way out of the house.
- Remember to escape first, and then notify the fire department.
What you can do until help arrives:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Clean any electrical equipment.
- Send clothing to dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.