Firework Safety Tips - SERVPRO of Gresham
Don't let a Fire Get in The Way of Your Fourth of July Fun!
According to the National Fire Protection Association, fireworks cause an estimated 18,500 fires a year. Many of these fires could have been avoided by taking the proper safety precautions!
The best way to stay safe this firework season is to go to a firework show put on by professionals. If you can't resist lighting some off at home, here are the recommended safety tips from National Council on Firework Safety:
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
From all of us at SERVPRO of Gresham, we wish you a very fun and SAFE Fourth of July!
If you are faced with fire damage at your home or business, call SERVPRO of Gresham at (503) 665-7752