Tips for Keeping Your Pet Safe While Boating in Fairview
SERVPRO of Gresham wants your pet to be safe while boating!
Last week we touched on how to keep yourself and family safe while boating, this week we want to provide ideas to keep your furry friend safe as well!
- Keep plenty of fresh drinking water available.
- Provide a shaded area—excessive exposure to the sun can cause problems for animals.
- Protect their feet—dogs absorb heat through the pads on their feet and boat surfaces can get very hot in the sun.
- Let your pet get acquainted with the boat while it is on dock or trailer.
- Walk your dog so he can relieve himself before boarding; if the boat surface allows, you may wish to train him to go in a specific spot
- Keep your first outing short, to let your dog get used to the boat movement.
Another thing to consider is getting a doggie lifejacket. While there are no regulations regarding life jackets for pets, a dog life jacket can help keep your pet safe while aboard your boat or around any body of water. How do you choose a life jacket for your animal? Here are a few things to consider:
- Make sure the life jacket fits securely.
- Try to get jacket with lifting handles to make retrieving your pet safer and easier.
- Check to see where straps and buckles fall to make sure they won’t cause your pet any discomfort.
- Choose a bright color to make it easier to spot your dog in the water.
Give your pet a chance to get used to wearing its life jacket before actually getting on a boat. Allow your pet to practice swimming while wearing its life jacket, too.