How to Prep Your Fairview Business for an Earthquake
Earthquake preparedness for Multnomah County
While earthquakes don't occur often in where we live, it's important to know how to react in the event of an earthquake. The following provides advice to help your family be better prepared for major storm events.
- Put together an earthquake survival kit. Your office could be without electricity, internet, water, gas and sewage services for several days. The American Red Cross advises a survival kit has the following:
- Sanitation/ personal hygiene items
- Extra batteries
- Battery powered or hand crank radio
- Cell phone with charger
- Family/ Emergency contact info
- Multipurpose tool
- Extra cash
- Map(s) of areas
- Meet regularly to go over plan.
- Meet with your staff regularly to establish an emergency plan. Talk about basic safety procedures and establish a safe meeting place for everyone to meet.
- Asses your Risk
- Determine how ready your business is for an earthquake or other natural disaster
- Secure Important Documents
- Keep copies of priority documents and records in fire and water proof portable containers.
- Practice the plan you have established in your workplace to check preparedness. It is recommended to do so twice per year.
- Get Training
- Take first aid classes or how to use a fire extinguisher. Training will help keep you focused and know what to do when an earthquake occurs.