Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather on the East Side
How to prepare your home for winter weather!
Winter storms can cause power outages that last for days. They can make roads and walkways extremely dangerous or impassable and close or limit critical community services such as public transportation, child care, health programs and schools. With last year’s crazy winter, it might not be a bad idea to prepare your home for snowstorms or extreme cold before it happens.
Prepare your home:
- Make sure your home is well insulated and that you have weather stripping around your doors and window sills to keep the warm air inside.
- Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector.
- Keep fire extinguishers on hand, and make sure everyone in your house knows how to use them. House fires pose an additional risk, as more people turn to alternate heating sources without taking the necessary safety
- Learn how to shut off water valves (in case a pipe bursts).
- Insulate your home by installing storm windows or covering windows with plastic from the inside to keep cold air out.
Whether your home gets damaged from rainwater, storm damage, or snow and ice, SERVPRO of Gresham is here to help! Contact us any time of day or night at (503) 665-7752!