Generator Safety for Gresham Residents
We want to make sure you are safe during the next storm power outage
If you have a generator on hand for power outages during severe weather, follow the safety tips below from American Red Cross:
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawl space, or any partially enclosed area.
- To avoid electrocution, keep the generator dry and do not use in rain or wet Operate it on a dry surface under an open canopy-like structure, such as under a tarp help up on poles. Do not touch the generator with wet hands.
- Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent carbon monoxide (CO) buildup in the home. Although CO can’t be seen or smelled, it can rapidly lead to full incapacitation and death. Even if you cannot smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.
- Install CO alarms in central locations on every level of your home or property and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
If your home or business is damaged due to a storm, call SERVPRO of Gresham! We have the training, tools, and equipment to make it “Like it never even happened.”